Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Thematic Photographic #305 --- Look Straight Down

Oh my goodness! I just looked at the last time I played along with one of my favorite blog activities and it's been two years! They say time flies when you're having fun, but that isn't exactly my excuse. Things were already pretty hectic when my mom passed away suddenly in January 2013. Then my world seemed to stop for a while. Six months later my first grandchild was born, bringing my awareness of life's blessings back into perspective. It's still very hard without Mom. She was my lifelong best friend. But little Adam, now 13 months old, is my bright little star! Before I get to my submission for this week's Thematic Photographic, I just have to show him off. He is my only child's first child and I think he is adorable!


Now for this week's Thematic Photographic theme, and it's a good one, Carmi!  "Look Straight Down" immediately brought to mind photos from six years ago that I took on board the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. It was Family Day aboard the aircraft carrier and we cruised through Chesapeake Bay out to the Atlantic Ocean. With nearly full access to the ship my son showed me around. What a day that was!  I have a few views to show, because I couldn't pick just one!


I don't remember now how many decks there are on the ship, or how many we toured. But there are probably hundreds of these ladder/stairs.  Very steep and nearly straight down ..... and up!
-----------------------------


Looking straight down to the ocean from one of the upper levels of the superstructure.
--------------------------------


Looking straight down from the fantail. That water was churning!
----------------------------------


We were treated to a full air show over the ocean. This fighter jet went straight up, rolled, and came straight down.  In this case the pilot was looking straight down!
---------------------------------------


At the end of the day we looked straight down from the flight deck as 7,000 family and crew members deboarded from the hanger bays. 
------------------------------------------


Not exactly looking straight down, but one of my favorite photos from the day. One I will never forget!
-------------------------------------------------

Ahhh! It's good to be posting again!  And what better place to come back to but Thematic Photographic. Thanks, Carmi!


3 comments:

Gilly said...

Really interesting photos! Yes, I've met stairs like that! Great shots!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Great pics, Barbara!
~

Bob Scotney said...

A fascinating group of photos. I wouldn't have liked being in that jet.